Wikidata talk:Main Page
This is the place where you can discuss the main page.
General project discussion can take place at Wikidata:Project chat.
|On this page, old discussions are archived. An overview of all archives can be found at this page's archive index. The current archive is located at 2015/10.|
Incorrect spelling of numbers for the April 27th & April 15th entries
The word twelveth is an archaic form of twelfth. The phrase eleventh-millionth plus one should be phrased as eleven-millionth-plus one.
Front page is currently dominated by huge banner/adverticement like structure. It takes easily half of the screen and provides only little bit of info. Please for example merge the text content of top banner into Welcome section and remove the huge picture. --Usp (talk) 08:28, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
- I guess you're visting Wikidata on a mobile device, Usp? Because of course the portion of the screen used by the banner depends on the screen resolution, among others. On my desktop screen, which really isn't huge, the banner only takes up considerably less than a third of the browser screen, which is absolutely okay in my eyes. But on my smartphone (which isn't top-notch either), if I'm holding it horizontally, it actually takes up the biggest part of the screen, yes. It doesn't bother me much (not only as I don't visit the main page anyway, but also because I'm used to scroll a lot there and it's not uncommon to have a "front page" on website nowadays anyway).
- The current design of the main page is rather new, and it even has some responsive elements, but the height of the banner actually is static. Maybe we could have a smaller version of it for small (mobile) displays? --YMS (talk) 13:40, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
- Actually the reason why it especially bothers is that the situation is on 50.9 x 28.7 cm 23 inch 1920*1080 px screen. Measured with ruler banner takes 9.5 cm of 22.5 cm vertical content area (rest of screen is left for desktosp task bar and browser bars). But main issue for me is that it adds hardly any value for the resource it spends. Wikipedia on its top banner adds more content but only in 2.5 cm and still it has lots of space in it. --Usp (talk) 14:02, 23 March 2015 (UTC)
- The banner is defined in Template:Main Page/Header new, and for most languages it's File:Wikidata nodes in white.svg, which has a base height of 319 pixels. This is displayed in full size, and therefore it should take slightly less than a third of a 1080 pixels screen under normal conditions. Do you zoom your pages (like Ctrl and +)? Is your browser (which one?) displaying the image bigger than 319 pixels for some other reason (right-click it and select e.g. "View Image Info", depending on your browser)? --YMS (talk) 14:39, 23 March 2015 (UTC)
If you realize that data is the plural of datum, and not a mass noun as it is frequently misused ("This data is ...."), then you can avoid the awkward construction data item. You have one datum, two data, three data, and so on. You wouldn't call a child a children item, would you? T Arndt 40 (talk) 14:54, 11 April 2015 (UTC)
I think you're overcomplicating a simple concept. But if so, it would be a datum item, because noun combinations in English are based on the singular version--for example, school bus, not schools bus. T Arndt 40 (talk) 16:25, 6 June 2015 (UTC)
Mistake in German
"Durchstöbere die Pressemitteilungen und Forschungesergebnisse über Wikidata" must be Forschungsergebnisse -- 126.96.36.199 20:29, 12 April 2015 (UTC)
I think that the small lock that symbolises semi-protection should be removed, as none other Wikimedia project has one on their Main pages, plus, as a high traffic page, the page will remain permanently locked.--188.8.131.52 20:34, 31 May 2015 (UTC)
- Toxocara is a genus, Toxocaridae is a family so isn't possible merge the items. --ValterVB (talk) 16:44, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
What's it good for?
I have some notion of what a database is used for but this Main Page lacks a explanation of the purpose of Wikidata and how it can be useful to people. I'm sure the sponsors of this project are full of dreams regarding what we will be able do with this resource when it is mature, so why not share some of them on the Main Page? —Blanchette (talk) 19:30, 5 October 2015 (UTC)