This is a noticeboard for all matters regarding translation of pages via the Translate extension, and a meeting place for the translation administrators. Useful links: Documentation for the translation extension, Tutorial for translators. See also the sisterpage m:Meta talk:Babylon.
|On this page, old discussions are archived. An overview of all archives can be found at this page's archive index. The current archive is located at 2017/05.|
Top priority for translations
Dear brothers and sisters in arms it seems there is not much work left to be done by Translation Administers for now. There is however still an extensive need for translations. There are some decisive texts which build the foundation of the participation of users on Wikidata. There is a row of decisive help texts, that are needed in all languages to provide users of every language a basic knowledge of the ways Wikidata works to enable them to be participants of Wikidata. In my opinion there is a critical number of labels and descriptions that is needed to be able to use properties. It is however more important to have proper labels and descriptions for the properties themselves. There can be reported lots of good results concerning the european languages, but there are some languages that are underrepresented. I´d like to make a list of the top priority texts to be translated. A list of the top 50 information and help files would be a good start.Please help in generating a list of the top 50 texts and other important tasks.--Giftzwerg 88 (talk)
- translation of labels and descriptions of all properties found on Wikidata:Database reports/List of properties/all (use count to determine the most desperately needed)
- translation of the template on the properties talk pages
- translation of the labels and descriptions of the top 100/ top 1000/ top 5000 most linked items
There has been added a new feature to the special page, the status. There are six stages: progress, needs-updating, updating, proofreading, ready and published. What are the defenitions of these stages, when do I have to select which stage? Q.Zanden questions? 16:33, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- Hi QZanden you may find some information on mediawiki.org. Pamputt (talk) 20:41, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- Some tools (mostly Magnus') are translatable via ToolTranslate (including the newest version of QuickStatements). You could also find some on translatewiki.net but for the rest you must ask their owners. Matěj Suchánek (talk) 11:41, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
Post on Wikidata:News
- Done Don't forget to link to userpages when mentioning users. Matěj Suchánek (talk) 14:32, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks, but I still don't think it should be on the front page. People might read it and follow the link at the end of the note to discover that it doesn't mention the date.
--- Jura 03:23, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
Requesting community review of place translations
As part of my work at Mapbox, we're sourcing professional translations of world place names and donating the data to Wikidata. Our goal would be translate major places in the world to all major world languages and over 20,000 missing place label translations have already been sourced and uploaded over the last 2 months using the special account user:planemad_mapbox. While we have an internal process to check every translation for quality by a native language speaker, it would be amazing to ensure they run through another layer of review by expert Wikidata translators for a final check.
As a first step, it would be great to get interested translators to add their name to User:Planemad mapbox/World places translation project#Community reviewers. There are 32 languages in the list as of now, and there are around 200-4000 translations in each that would need to be checked, most of them in Asian languages. What other channels could be used to reach out to the translator community? What would be the best mechanism to organise such an effort, would a spreadsheet work? --Planemad (talk) 12:56, 1 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hi Planemad I think your message should be posted on the various Wikidata:Project chat (in the different languages). Doing that, it will be displayed widely. Pamputt (talk) 20:36, 1 May 2017 (UTC)