Wikidata acts as central storage for the structured data of its Wikimedia sister projects including Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wiktionary, Wikisource, and others.Wikidata also provides support to many other sites and services beyond just Wikimedia projects! The content of Wikidata is available under a free license, exported using standard formats, and can be interlinked to other open data sets on the linked data web.
Learn about Wikidata
- What is Wikidata? Read the Wikidata introduction.
- Explore Wikidata by looking at a featured showcase item for author Douglas Adams (Q42).
- Get started with Wikidata's SPARQL query service.
Contribute to Wikidata
- Learn to edit Wikidata: follow the tutorials.
- Work with other volunteers on a subject that interests you: join a WikiProject.
- Individuals and organizations can also donate data.
Meet the Wikidata community
- Visit the community portal or attend a Wikidata event.
- Create a user account.
- Talk and ask questions on the Project chat or via live IRC chat.
Use data from Wikidata
- Learn how you can retrieve and use data from Wikidata.
- 2021-10-17: "Research Vocabularies Australia ID", property number ten-thousand, is created.
- 2021-06-07: Lexeme:L500000, for the Japanese (Q5287) word '政令指定都市', which is a term for a city with a population greater than 500,000.
- 2020-12-31: Lexeme L400000, for the Estonian (Q9072) word 'kirkalt', meaning 'brightly', is created.
- 2020-12-30: "Ancient History Encyclopedia ID", property number nine-thousand, is created.
- On October 29th, we celebrate Wikidata's 8th birthday. You can have a look at the events organized by the community, the presents and messages.
- 2020-10-06 Item Q100000001, about the Franklin Early Childhood School in Australia, is created; since there was no Q100000000, this is the first 9-digit Q-number.
- 2020-05-18: Lexeme L300000, for the Lojban (Q36350) word '.ei', expressing obligation, is created.
- 2020-04-10: The ninety millionth item, about the galaxy "ZFOURGE UDS 19909", is created.
- 2020-03-21: "electron configuration", property number eight-thousand, is created.
As the world combats the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Wikidata has been extremely useful in collecting and modelling useful information related to COVID-19, from relevant research articles and clinical trials, to epidemiological statistics of various regions, to lexemes for words and phrases commonly associated with the pandemic, and much more. A lot of work from WikiProject COVID-19 goes into creating and maintaining these items, bolstering Wikidata's role as a helpful open resource in the pandemic.
- Check out Wikidata:Tools for some of our best tools and gadgets for using and exploring Wikidata.