Wikidata turns six!
Wikidata went live on 29 October 2012. In 2018, we organize a giant Wikidata birthday all around the world. All local communities are encouraged to organize their own events: meetups, workshops, trainings for newcomers, hackathons, conferences... In October 2018, bring your local community, engage newcomers and celebrate the sixth birthday!
Events to come
If you plan to organize an event for the Wikidata Birthday in 2018
, feel free to add it here! You can start a subpage (for example Wikidata:Sixth Birthday/North Pole
) to coordinate with your local community and add details about your event.
Add a project
Ideas of events
The main goal of the event is to share with your local community your enthusiasm about Wikidata. It doesn't have to be a big event, it can be just a meetup with your community.
Examples of events:
- Meetup in your town with your local community
- An introduction to Wikidata for beginners
- Hackathon to reuse data from Wikidata
- Translathon to improve the labels of Wikidata in your language
- Kick-off a Wikidata section in your user group
- Give an introduction to Wikidata to a local partner (university, library...)
Some content that can help you:
- A call for all organizers or people thinking about organizing a birthday celebration, will take place on August 28th. This is the opportunity to chat with me, but also people from other local groups, about your ideas, your questions, your needs.
- Date: August 28th, 18:00 to 19:00 (UTC+2, Berlin time)
- Meeting link: Google Meet (yes, it's Google. If you're deeply unhappy about this, you can write to me and we'll find another solution)
- The deadline for requesting Wikidata swag is September 7th. After this date, we can't promise that we'll be able to prepare the swag for you.
- Before this date, you can write to me listing everything you need. It can be items that we already do (T-shirts, hoodies, socks, stickers, bags, notebooks, pens...) but also other things, if you have nice ideas on what to print.
- I'll reply to you shortly and we'll discuss about the best options to get the swag: print it from our usual partners in Germany, print it locally, etc. I'll support you during the whole process.
You have a project of Wikidata birthday celebration, and you have some questions or ideas? Feel free to write on the talk page, or to contact me: Lea Lacroix (WMDE)