|It is proposed that this informational page become a policy or guideline. Please see the discussion on its talk page or the project chat.
The following is a proposed Wikidata policy or guideline. The proposal may still be in development, under discussion, or in the process of gathering consensus for adoption.
Editors of Wikidata must take care when adding information about living people to any page on Wikidata. Any such information, especially if challenged, must be attributable to a reliable source, be reasonably neutral, and, especially, not be libellious or defamatory. In general, unverifiable contentious information about living people should be removed immediately. Violations of this policy are taken seriously, and repeated or egregrious incidents by a user may lead to blocks. In other cases, page protection can be applied to pages, particularly items on living people, receiving many violations of this policy. If serious, page revisions in violation of this policy may be hidden as well.
The verifiability of information on living people is of high importance. Information added to Wikidata about living people must meet the following criteria:
- In items:
- For descriptions and aliases, the information must meet one of the following:
- Claims must either or both:
- On any other page (including talk and project pages):
- The information must exist in an item or Wikipedia article that satisfies the above verifiability requirements.
- Resolution on living people by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
- The exact definition of "reliable" has not yet been decided by the Wikidata community.