Wikidata:Dataset Imports/Video Game Companies

From Wikidata
Jump to navigation Jump to search

You may find these related resources helpful:

Guidelines for using this page[edit]

Documenting the import[edit]

  • Guidelines on how to import a dataset into Wikidata are available at Wikidata:Data Import Guide.
  • Please include notes on all steps of the process.
  • Once a dataset has been imported into Wikidata please edit the page to change the progress status from in progress to complete.
  • It is strongly recommended to use Visual Editor when making changes to this page, particularly for editing any of the tables.

Creating a Wikidata item for the dataset[edit]

  • Please create a Wikidata item for the dataset, this will allow us to improve the coverage of datasets on Wikidata and understand what datasets are available on that topic and which of them have been added to Wikidata.
  • If you are working with very large dataset you can break it into smaller Mix n' Match catalogues, but only create one Wikidata item.
  • Link the dataset Wikidata item to this page using Wikidata Dataset Imports URL (P5195)

Getting help[edit]

  • If your dataset import runs into issues please edit the page to change the progress status from in progress to help needed.
  • You can ask for help on Wikidata:Project chat.


Dataset name[edit]

Video Game Companies


diggr Project


Dataset description[edit]

A list of companies involved in the development of video games.

Additional information[edit]

A list of companies involved in the development of video games.

Progress of import[edit]

Description of dataset Create and import data into spreadsheet Structure of data within Wikidata Format the data to be imported Match the data to existing data Importing data into Wikidata Date import complete and notes
Name: Video Game Companies

Source: diggr project


Description: Includes 583 companies involved in the development of video games. The data were curated by the diggr project. It aggregates data from different sources e.g. Mobygames, OpenCorporates, Company Websites (also through wayback machine), ...



Done: all

To do:




Example item: Q8093 Q650867

Done: all

To do:


To do: Format the data in the spreadsheet


Done: already done

To do:

Notes: links to cities, countries, other companies in wikidata

Done: all unproblematic statements and new items

To do: clarify how to handle slightly different data which already exist in wikidata (e.g. October 1994 vs. 3. October 1994)

Notes: seperate import for new company entities from existing

Date complete:

29. May 2018


Manual postprocessing in December 2018

Edit history[edit]

Use the table below to list batches of edits that have been completed for this dataset. Ideally each entry should have all applicable columns filled out, but at a minimum please make to add a date and description to give an idea of what was added to Wikidata and when.

DateDescriptionMethodPropertiesQualifiersReferencesStatements addedStatements removedLink to import sheet
18 May 2018Added mobygames company ids (P4773) to 323 videogame companies - only 5 already had a linkQuickStatementsMobyGames company ID (former scheme) (P4773)323
22 May 2018Add more statementsQuickStatements 343see above
24 May 2018Added country to 235 companiesQuickStatementscountry (P17)235see above
25 May 2018Added 260 new video game related companiesQuickStatements 1933
28/29 May 2018Merged 11 duplicatesQuickStatements

Discussion of import[edit]

These headings are generally useful, please change this section to suit your needs.


Diggr (talk) 10:51, 17 April 2018 (UTC) After a while I think it's better to use property P669 (located on street) instead of P969 (located at street address) for the multilingual character of the japanese addresses. But P669 need street number (P670) as qualifier. It's unfeasibly to split the addresses automatic. So I don't know which is the best way to import the addresses in wikidata. Any recommendation?Reply[reply]

After discussion in project chat (see:Archiv 2018/04) I will use P969 (P969) and postal code postal code (P281) for the company addresses Diggr (talk) 14:02, 9 May 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]


@Diggr:. Via Wikidata:Database reports/Constraint violations/P4773, I noticed that the ID atari-inc was used on both Atari, Inc. (Q527336) and Atari, Inc. (Q13409231) − it was added to the latter in Special:Diff/681154574. I believe the correct mapping is Atari, Inc. (Q527336)atari-inc and Atari, Inc. (Q13409231)atari-inc_ − I made the change accordingly.
Hope that helps :)
Jean-Fred (talk) 08:31, 28 May 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Jean-Fred: Thanks! I recognized a view duplicates too and I try to fix them in the next days.
@Diggr: Just noticed your merges − Looks good, thanks! Jean-Fred (talk) 10:16, 30 May 2018 (UTC)Reply[reply]
P.S. I moved the discussion here, with the new layout, as the old page was not easy to follow :)


Queries and expected results[edit]

Query linkDescriptionExpected results

Schedule of new data released[edit]