Wikidata:WikiProject LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group/Wikibase and WBStack Working Hours
|Welcome||Affinity Group Calls||Wikidata Working Hours||Wikibase Working Hours|
Calls will be scheduled as a part of the Wikidata Working Hours.
- 30 June 2022, 11AM-12PM Eastern US (Time zone converter), Registration link: The German Integrated Authority file building itself a second home, with Barbara Fischer, Liaison Counsel at the German National Library’s Agency for Standardization (DNB) encouraging cooperation and openness in digital transformation. Fischer is head of the DFG-research project GND for Cultural data and the communication manager for GND meets Wikibase. On behalf of the DNB, Fischer initiated the WikiLibrary Manifesto. Fischer works to increase the quality of metadata through Authority Control to foster retrieval and linked data. (Jan 2022)
- 12 May 2022 Slides,Recording Wikibase for cultural heritage data and LIS education at the Pratt Semantic Lab
- As a member of Semantic Lab, Karen Li-Lun Hwang is part of the METRO Equity in Action partnership grant with the Asian American Arts Centre to graph new knowledge pertaining to Asian American contemporary art. Other research at Semantic Lab includes the history of women of jazz.
- Matt Miller is a co-director of the Semantic Lab and an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Pratt Institute as well as a Linked Data Applications Technical Specialist at the Library of Congress.
- 21 April 2022, 3PM Eastern US time zone converter, Registration Link Digital Scriptorium 2.0 in Wikibase
- 11 March 2022: Slides Shared notes Introduction to Linked Open Data Strategy with Lea Voget, Head, Product Management WMDE. Lea is not only the team lead of product, project and program managers at WMDE, she is also one of the main thinkers behind the Linked Open Data strategy.
- 16 December 2021: Creating a WBStack Instance for alternative LCSH Labels: item creation. We will use a small-group breakout format and create items in the experimental WBStack instance!
- 15 November 2021: Creating a WBStack Instance for alternative LCSH Labels: property creation
- 26 October 2021 Creating a WBStack Instance for alternative LCSH Labels: data modeling.
- 17 September 2021: Building Enslaved.org in Wikibase
- 27 August 2021: Next steps after installing a Wikibase instance -- creating users, items, and properties
- Recording, WBStack Slides, Wikibase Slides, Shared notes
- Ryan Mendenhall Metadata Librarian at Columbia University presented Next steps with WBStack. Following on the WBStack session earlier this year, this continuation looked briefly at WBStack interfaces for Federated properties, Mappings, QuickStatements, and the WBStack query service.
- Jim Hahn Head of Metadata Research at the Penn Libraries presented Next steps with Wikibase. Following on the Wikibase install session from Spring, this continuation provided an overview of a local Wikibase configuration once you have Wikibase running on your laptop. The following tasks were covered: account management features -- including adding users; importing items and properties from Wikidata; a demonstration of configuring and using the Wikibase query service. The Wikibase-docker GitHub repository used in the previous session has been archived and this session made use of the latest documentation: Wikibase/Docker - MediaWiki. The new docker compose files live in wikibase-release-pipeline.
- 22 July 2021: Breakout room during the LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group conference session at the 2021 LD4 Conference on Linked Data (registration is required, but is free). We'll collaboratively edit a WBStack instance dedicated to conference session metadata.
- 27 May 2021: Recording Slides Shared notes Adam Shorland (Wikimedia Deutschland) will give a broad overview of WBStack and WBaas (Wikibase as a service): Looking at why it exists, what it does, how it does it, and where it wants to go, and a demo of a working WBStack instance will be given by Timothy Ryan Mendenhall (Columbia University).Slides
- 30 April 2021: Recording and meeting notes. Lozana Rossenova (Rhizome) will discuss her work developing a custom data model for Rhizome's Wikibase instance.
- 26 March 2021:Recording: Jim Hahn (University of Pennsylvania) will lead a session on installing and configuring a Wikibase instance on your desktop. It would be very helpful to have Docker Desktop installed before the session: Docker Desktop. Collaborative notes document for the session.
- 11 February 2021: Recording and Meeting notes. Pascal Lefeuvre (Bibliotheque nationale de France, BnF), Anila Angjeli (BnF), and Benjamin Bober (Abes) will discuss Noemi, a cataloging tool developed using Wikibase. Slides. Stacy Allison-Cassin (University of Toronto) will discuss her work in Wikibase. Slides.
Scope and Charge
The LD4 Wikibase / WBStack working hour seeks to create a space for GLAM professionals experimenting with Wikibase/WBStack implementation, the software that Wikidata is based on, to learn collaboratively and share tips, tools, and resources.
- The working group will facilitate identification of areas for collaboration among institutions experimenting with separate institutional Wikibase instances. Topics considered are:
The group will explore the development of mechanisms for channeling community feedback to the developers of Wikibase and the broader Wikimedia community. Complement, (or supplement) where possible, the work from existing Wikidata groups such as LD4 Affinity group and the PCC Wikidata Pilot. The working group will focus on the functional needs of GLAM workers such as librarians and archivists, but is not a forum for development questions and IT troubleshooting of individual Wikibase instances. Those seeking assistance with setting up an institutional Wikibase instance are encouraged to consult tutorials offered by Matt Miller, including one delivered at the LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group, and to reach out to Wikibase developers and/or private consultants for any IT questions and support that they might need.
The LD4 Wikibase / WBStack Working Hours are held as a part of the LD4-Wikidata Affinity Group.
Sign up here to receive regular announcements about LD4 Wikibase Working Hours, LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group calls, and LD4 Wikidata Working Hours.
Resources on Wikibase
- Wikibase home page
- Wikibase Yearly Summary 2020
- 2020 Development roadmap for Wikidata and Wikibase
- Wikibase Docker Image (use for installing a local Wikibase instance)
- Registry of Wikibase instances
- WikiLibrary Manifesto
- Federated properties in Wikibase instances
- Wikibase consultants and support providers