On Wednesday August 8th, Harvard and Wikimedia will host a Wikidata Training Workshop at the Lamont Forum Room.
- When? Wednesday 8 August, 2018, from 13:30 till 17:30. Coffee and soft drinks will be provided.
- Where? Lamont Forum Room, Third Floor at the Lamont Library, 11 Quincy St, Cambrdige, MA Map. Check for accesibility details if you need them.
- For whom? This workshop is orientated to people working on metadata at Libraries, Open Access projects.
- How to participate? The workshop is free. Want to join? RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited. You will need to be confirmed as a participant by the organizers, in advance, in order to participate.
- How to prepare?
- Bring your laptop! Editing Wikidata on a tablet or mobile phone is not very user friendly yet - a laptop is highly recommended.
- If you don't have a Wikidata account yet, please create one before the event. You can do that here: https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CreateAccount
The Wikimedia Friendly space policy applies to this event.
In this workshop, Alex Stinson will introduce how Wikidata, a linked open database describing nearly 50 million concepts, works and can be used to advance cultural heritage and research projects. As part of the workshop, he will introduce the data structure, how to contribute, several tactics for matching data from authorities, and the query service.
- What is Wikidata?
- Structure of Wikidata
- Introduction to editing
- Editing activities
- Applying Wikidata
- How to run a query? Basic query service
Slide Deck: available on Google Slides
- Note: if you would like to run an event, consider using the design at Wikidata:Planning_a_Wikidata_workshop
Links for activities
Places to edit
- Harvard Faculty with Obvious Gaps
- ISNI for Design Faculty
- Harvard UP Books in Mix-N-Match
- Items related to Harvard with few statements
Wikidata Power Tools
- Harvard University on Scholia
- comparison of Harvard with Cornell and Stanford on Scholia
- Organizations associated with Harvard
- Buildings operated by Harvard
- People associated in some way with Harvard