Wikidata Weekly Summaries
Please review this page and collect valuable data
Dear Laddo (talk • contribs • logs) Please collect some more information for this page https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q77359124 and kindly review this wikidata page (Shubham Ghodke) 06:05, 12 December 2019 (UTC)
Human name disambiguation pages
Please do not mark items as "Human name disambiguation pages" unless the pages list only names of humans. You have been tagging pages that also include names of animal species, asteroids, and book titles. --EncycloPetey (talk) 01:39, 13 December 2019 (UTC)
- Stopped the batch and refined the QS lists. Thanks for letting me know. Lαδδo chat ;) 22:30, 15 December 2019 (UTC)
Not sure what you meant here... Not only do they share same birth and death date as well as occupation, but sitelinks also cite the same publications... Where did you get that they are not the same person? --Nono314 (talk) 21:29, 15 December 2019 (UTC)
- @Nono314: My bad - a birth year without a date ends up as January 1st when downloaded in batch, and it messed up my comparison scheme. I removed that "different from" statement and merged these items. Good catch! Lαδδo chat ;) 22:23, 15 December 2019 (UTC)
Hi! I think you should pay more attention to the latter part of item description "item that is different from another item, with which it is often confused". You apparently add this property merely on basis of identical item labels, while there is little reason to believe that anyone ever actually confuses these items (e.g. in case of Q3417000 and Q3462299). In such cases "different from" statements in my opinion contribute to unnecessary clutter up rather than serve a useful purpose. That is, compared to cases where item descriptions are similar or overlap to a degree, and labels may be identical in some languages (e.g. Q42948 and Q2547819), or labels may not be identical (e.g. Q12089641 and Q25496059), and for this reason items may be actually confused. Surely on Wikidata people occasionally link to wrong items that normally wouldn't be confused, due to misclicking or due to being just careless, but adding "different from" everywhere probably doesn't prevent that kind of mistakes from happening. 2001:7D0:81F7:B580:C0E7:9E8B:9BD8:A9F0 16:27, 28 December 2019 (UTC)
- Hi 2001:7D0:81F7:B580:C0E7:9E8B:9BD8:A9F0, thanks for your comment. Indeed we have different perspectives on property different from (P1889). You use it to highlight differences between slightly different concepts, thus it represents meaningful information for the reader (wall (Q42948) vs. wall (Q2547819)).
- My use of P1889 is more technical: prevent careless merges and highlight some key difference (through qualifier criterion used (P1013), such as in Carmen Quesada (Q40686080)). I try my best to carefully select where I add the property, only where items overlap by more than their labels - river and village in same country, some ethnic group and their language, people with identical names, villages in different countries like the pair Undi (Q3417000) and Undi (Q3462299) that you pointed out. Much more often, similarly named items get added to whitelists such as Wikidata:Do_not_merge/14 without using P1889.
- The level of item overlap and resulting "confusion" needed for P1889 is not clear to me. Possibly a different property should be used for my purpose. I'll stop using it for now. Lαδδo chat ;) 20:46, 28 December 2019 (UTC)