Album amicorum Jacob Heyblocq
Portrait of Jacobus Heiblocq (1623-1690)
This project shows the huge added values of putting combined images + metadata of digitised KB collection highlights into the Wikimedia infrastructure (Wikidata for metadata, Wikimedia Commons for images and Wikipedia for contextual stories), using the collection highlight Album amicorum of Jacob Heyblocq as a demonstrator.
By comparing how visible, searchable, discoverable, sharable, reusable and linkable the digitised album was before the project against those criteria after the project, it will become very clear that using the Wikimedia services and communities is both a very effective and efficient way to amplify the impact of cultural heritage. It will show innovative ways to search, discover, curate, describe, interact, share, link, download and build upon the album, not possible before.
About Jacobus Heiblocq and the album
Jacobus Heiblocq (1623-1690) was a poet and rector of the Latin grammar school in Amsterdam. He is best known for the Album amicorum that he put together during his lifetime.
In this album Heyblocq collected contributions from many important figures from the Dutch Golden Age, including the painters Rembrandt, Govert Flinck and Jan de Bray, poets such as Joost van den Vondel, Jacob Cats and Constantijn Huygens, and scholars including Gerardus Vossius and Anna Maria van Schurman, and many others, as further detailed below.
Available building blocks before the project
Photo of the original album
Impression of The Album Amicorum of Jacob Heyblocq, Introduction, Transcriptions, Paraphrases and Notes to the Facsimile
, Edited by Kees Thomassen and J.A. Gruys, Zwolle: Waanders, 1998, ISBN 13: 9789040092046
- Obviously, there is the original album itself, shelfnumber 131 H 26 in the collection of the KB
- A facsimile + catalogue, The Album Amicorum of Jacob Heyblocq, Introduction, Transcriptions, Paraphrases and Notes to the Facsimile, Edited by Kees Thomassen and J.A. Gruys, Zwolle: Waanders, 1998, ISBN 13: 9789040092046. For each page of the album the catalog provides the text of the inscription(s), their translation into English and typically some annotations. See the image to get a proper impression. This publication is available from the KB or antiquarian booksellers.
At the start of this project the album's images, texts (album inscriptions, their translations & annotations) and metadata descriptions were available online
Via KB services
- Full album presentation. This is the best online way to get a good impression of the album. This viewer allows for leafing through the album and provides all inscriptions, their translations & annotations in the collapsible sidebar on the right.
- Context to this presentation is available on this page, with at the bottom a
- Page index of contributors. Very nice to have, but only browsing, no search functionalities are provided.
- Metadata descriptions are provided in the KB catalogue
- This metadata in reusable format is provided via the KB APIs
- Individual XML file for contributions, eg. the above contribution by Constantijn Huygens via an OAI-PMH request
- Full XML record tree for all contributions via a SRU request
- The individual images via the KB resolver
- Inf o bout contributors via NTA, proividing extran IDS for contributors
Via external services
- In OCLC/Worldcat - the OCLC number proividing an extranal IDS for contributions
- both for album and the individual contributions
this album was digitlised as part of EuropreanaTravel * https://www.europeana.eu/portal/nl/search?q=europeana_collectionName%3A(92065_Ag_EU_TEL_a0445_ETravel)&qf%5B%5D=heyblocq&view=grid
- In the World Digital Library
- Ecartico - VERDER UITZOEKEN
One might think, these building blocks are enough, but realti is... far from that. there can ve improved A LOIT!! --> In summary: The project created this SO LETS CREATE THIS!!
Newly Created materials
Discovery options for the album & its contributors
Newly created in the project
- Article on the album on WP:NL + WP:NL --> To make
- Articles about the (most important) contributors
- Category:Contributors to the album amicorum Jacobus Heyblocq (WP:EN) Categorie:Bijdragers aan Vriendenboek JH (WP:NL) --> To make
- Via the Wikipedia API --> To explore
- Via Wikipedia Searchbox --> and thus via Google Search & Images
- Image uploads to Commons: the mere action of uploading the images to WMC (+ descriptive metadata) means that the scans are brought from a library-oriented, Netherlands-oriented, 'text-first, visual-second', non-Google indexed, monolingual, hard-to-reuse, catalogue-centered environment (=OPC4) into an international, wider (than library) oriented, 'visual-first, text-second', Google indexed, multilingual, easy-to-resue (eg via Wikipeda), image-platform-centered environment (=WMC). The AAJH in Europeana and in Worldcat are somehere between these 2 extremes
- WMC search box
- Metadata description for each album image
- SDoC for each album image (LOD) For non-textual images: add P180 values to enable searching on the visual content of an image. For instance:
- Categories: (=image curation)
- Category:Album amicorum van Jacobus Heyblocq and its subcats
- Q-items for contributors and contributions
- SPARQL-queries (LOD)
- Wikidata API --> Both as URL-cll to the API, and calling the API via a (Pyton) script --> To explore both
- Genarate raw datadump of all AAJH Q-items via https://tools.wmflabs.org/wdumps/
- This project page
- Python code + Notebooks (to make)
- XML/JSON/Excel/csv/tsv files used/created during the project
- External apps/visualisations
- To make: usage of the AAJH data in external apps, like a temporal-spatila visualisation
- Build alternative front-end to the AAJH Topstuk, based on WMC and WD
Process, steps taken
Other pages - to process
Overview of subpages