Wikidata acts as central storage for the structured data of its Wikimedia sister projects including Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wiktionary, Wikisource, and others.Wikidata also provides support to many other sites and services beyond just Wikimedia projects! The content of Wikidata is available under a free license, exported using standard formats, and can be interlinked to other open data sets on the linked data web.
Learn about Wikidata
- What is Wikidata? Read the Wikidata introduction.
- Explore Wikidata by looking at a featured showcase item for author Douglas Adams (Q42).
- Get started with Wikidata's SPARQL query service.
Contribute to Wikidata
- Learn to edit Wikidata: follow the tutorials.
- Work with other volunteers on a subject that interests you: join a WikiProject.
- Individuals and organizations can also donate data.
Meet the Wikidata community
- Visit the community portal or attend a Wikidata event.
- Create a user account.
- Talk and ask questions on the Project chat, Telegram groups, or the live IRC chatconnect.
Use data from Wikidata
- Learn how you can retrieve and use data from Wikidata.
- 2023-04-17: The next Wikidata+Wikibase office hours will take place on Wednesday, 16:00 UTC on Wednesday, 19th April 2023 (18:00 Berlin time) in the Wikidata Telegram group. The Wikidata and Wikibase office hours are online events where the development team presents what they have been working on over the past quarter, and the community is welcome to ask questions and discuss important issues related to the development of Wikidata and Wikibase.
- 2023-01-26: Lexeme L1000000, for the Nynorsk (Q25164) word 'etymologi', meaning 'etymology', is created.
- 2022-12-31: Lexeme L900000, for the Bokmål (Q25167) word 'urolog', meaning 'urologist', is created.
- 2022-12-28: Lexeme L800000, for the Nynorsk (Q25164) word 'fotballturnering', meaning 'football tournament', is created.
- 2022-11-09: The Wikidata development team talk about what they've been working on in the office hours at 17:00 UTC on Telegram.
- 2022-10-29: Wikidata is now 10 years old! Happy birthday!
- 2022-10-19: The number of Wikidata items surpasses 100 million.
Item: Earth (Q2)
Property: highest point (P610)
custom value: Mount Everest (Q513)
Wikiproject Music is home to editors that help add data about artists, music releases, tracks, awards, and performances! Additionally, importing from and linking Wikidata with the many music databases and streaming services is another focus of the project. Read about our data model on our project page and come chat with us on Telegram.
- Check out Wikidata:Tools for some of our best tools and gadgets for using and exploring Wikidata.
Wikipedia – Encyclopedia Wiktionary – Dictionary and thesaurus Wikibooks – Textbooks, manuals, and cookbooks Wikinews – News Wikiquote – Collection of quotations Wikisource – Library Wikiversity – Learning resources Wikivoyage – Travel guides Wikispecies – Directory of species Wikimedia Commons – Media repository Incubator – New language versions Meta-Wiki – Wikimedia project coordination MediaWiki – Software documentation