A lot is happening around Wikidata. Weekly summaries are posted to this page and on the Wikidata mailing list. You can also subscribe to the on-wiki newsletter to have them delivered to your talk page.
You can contribute to the next edition at Wikidata:Status updates/Next.
Last status update
This is the Wikidata summary of the week before 2014-11-22.
- Had a great hackathon for GLAM and Wikidata in Amsterdam last weekend
- IRC office hour about structured data on Commons (logs)
- Building a periodic table using Wikidata
- Lydia will be speaking at internetdagarna in Stockholm on Monday
Other Noteworthy Stuff
- Wikimedia Commons will get Phase 2 on December 2nd
- The Sum of all Paintings - new app to nicely display data related to artwork
- Institutions on Commons without an item on Wikidata
- Wikidata descriptions being used to help clarify search results in the Wikipedia mobile app
- WikidataTodo now shows you tasks to be done on Wikidata related to a specific country as well
- VisualEditor coming as a beta feature
- Statements on properties are getting closer to the finish line. You could help figure out which properties to use for describing and classifying properties.
Did you know?
- Newest properties: MarineTraffic Port ID, MarineTraffic Ship ID, drives on the, detail map, plaintiff, date of official opening, squad number, BBC Things identifer, SIREN number, CLARA-ID, History of Parliament ID, IRC channel, Commons Institution page
- When a page is deleted on a client (Wikipedia, etc) its sitelink is now removed automatically from its Wikidata item
- Reworked the automatic precision detection for coordinates
- The long planned split of the code base into two independent Wikibase Repo and Client extensions is getting closer pretty fast these weeks
- Made good progress on making the sitelinks section much more compact and moving it into the right-hand sidebar
- While still reworking lots of details that slightly changed in DataModel 2.0 we already started working on a possible DataModel 3.0
- More performance optimizations in the form of more advanced label lookup implementations
- Implemented file-based cache of SiteStore to improve performance
- Bug fixes
- Updated the property suggester with new data! :)
See current sprint items for what we’re working on next.
You can see all open bugs related to Wikidata here
- Hack on one of these.
- Help fix these items which have been flagged using Wikidata - The Game.
- Help develop the next summary here!
- Contribute to a Showcase item
Anything to add? Please share! :)