SourceMD, also called the Source Metadata Tool or Source, M.D., is a prototype tool that takes the persistent identifier (Q420330) for a scholarly article (Q13442814) (or several) and processes it by importing bibliographic metadata into Wikidata items. In August 2018, it was merged with ORCIDator into a single tool that allows for fully automated batch processing.
The tool is a prototype service for anyone who wishes to automatically generate Wikidata items using metadata from scholarly publications. Typical users of this tool will be Wikimedia community members participating in the WikiCite project. Other users include any person seeking to share the scholarly profile of any individual, or any organization seeking to share the scholarly profile of its individual members.
The likely motivation for anyone using this tool is that they want to use Wikidata to index, share, and promote the scholarly publications for an individual, an organization, or on a particular topic.
- User:Magnus Manske is the lead developer
- Development at BitBucket
- Testing of the tool takes places via Wikidata:SourceMD/tests.
- https://tools.wmflabs.org/sourcemd/ (fully automated batch mode)
- https://tools.wmflabs.org/sourcemd/index_old.php (semiautomated mode)
- https://tools.wmflabs.org/sourcemd/new_resolve_authors.php (author name resolver)