Wikidata:Global Economic Map task force
The Global Economic Map is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project. It is a standardized data set for economic statistics. All 196 countries, every region and city in the world will have their own article. The format is a combination of economic statistics from government publications such as the CIA Factbook, World Bank, IMF, financial statements, and other professional sources. Here is a link to the project: m:Global Economic Map
List of country articles: w:User:Mcnabber091/sandbox/Country articles
Lists of regional articles: w:User:Mcnabber091/sandbox/Regional lists
Lists of city articles: w:User:Mcnabber091/sandbox/City lists
This is our plan for Wikidata integration:
- Wikidata already has a page on each country.
- Wikidata already has a page on each administrative division of each of these countries.
- Wikidata already has a page on each of the larger companies and financial institutions.
- The Global Economic Map project will work with Wikidata to define the additional items and properties needed to incorporate the Global Economic data into Wikidata in a form which is machine readable.
- Once the Wikidata development team have completed the development of the datatypes required for this project (notably the URL datatype and the Number with Dimension datatype - both due to be completed by September 2013) then the properties can be created and the Global Economic Map project will work with Wikidata to create bots to automatically import data from various databases into the various pages in Wikidata. Each datum will be a separate statement on wikidata with a source (where it came from, when it was downloaded) and appropriate qualifiers (industry sector, time period it refers to, location). Where automation is not practical the data will be imported by hand into Wikidata, including the source and date info.
- Wikidata will make this data, like all the data on Wikidata, available, through their public API, in various standard formats, so it can be reused by others.
- As part of Wikidata stage 3 (due autumn 2013) the Wikidata developers will work on creating queries and data visualisations using the data in Wikidata. The Economic World map team will create a mini standalone site where the economic data can be queried and displayed in various ways.
- The Global Economic Map team will work with the Wikidata stage 3 developers and one of the wikipedias (probably not the English Wikipedia - their articles are pretty stable so they don't want too much experimentation) to create data visualisations using the data on Wikidata and add this to national and regional wikipedia pages. Once these are stable they can be adapted to other nations and regions on that wikipedia. These can then be used as a model by other wikipedias.
- Mcnabber091 (talk) 14:23, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
- Filceolaire (talk) 10:31, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:59, 21 August 2013 (UTC)
- Saper (talk) 22:22, 1 December 2013 (UTC)