Wikidata talk:WikiProject property constraints
|On this page, old discussions are archived after 60 days. An overview of all archives can be found at this page's archive index. The current archive is located at Wikidata talk:WikiProject property constraints/Archive 2.|
These properties are not necessarily useful as qualifiers elsewhere.
- @Jura1: the whitelist you mention means that we don’t check any constraints on qualifiers of Wikidata property example (P1855) and related properties, because the “Wikidata property example” properties all twist the data model around in a way where qualifiers don’t really mean what they usually mean… technically, it wouldn’t be a problem to add more properties to that list (Matěj Suchánek just added the two new example properties for senses and forms in gerrit:449017), but I’m not convinced that’s necessary. Is it really true that almost any property can be used as qualifiers for those two properties? Can you perhaps show a few examples? Because I don’t yet see how that would make sense. --Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE) (talk) 12:24, 21 August 2018 (UTC)
Better suggestions for constraint values on properties
Currently, when adding a new value in the constraints section of a property, there is no suggestion to fill the value or the qualifier. We’ve been improving this by a few changes that are going to be deployed this week.
- When adding a new value in the property constraint statement, a list of suggestions will be displayed and, all the relevant constraint items will be showed first. They will be selected among the list of qualifiers present in the statement “property constraint -> one of constraint” of property constraint (P2302).
- Of course, you can still type anything you want in the field to find a value. The full text search has been improved (when typing “none constr” you will also see “none of constraint” in the suggester)
In a very near future, we will also make the following happen:
- Same behavior for qualifiers inside the constraint statements. The suggester will pick up the values from “allowed qualifiers constraint”
- When clicking on “add value” in the property constraint statement, a suggester menu will directly appear (without having to click on the value field)
The first two changes will appear on wikidata.org on August 30th, the following ones in the next weeks. Feel free to make some tests, and let us know if you find a bug or something that doesn’t behave as expected.
Q25796498 Contemporary constraint
Hey all, we need to write something about the recently activated contemporary constraint (Q25796498) at Help:Property constraints portal/Contemporary. I still don’t fully understand how this works, so can someone please start? phab:T141859 might be interesting. (@Abián: FYI since we discussed about this constraint on your talk page recently.) —MisterSynergy (talk) 14:29, 25 September 2018 (UTC)
- It seems to work. Good addition. I added a few tests in the sandbox:
- Thanks for this. --- Jura 15:26, 25 September 2018 (UTC)
Citation needed constraint
Is it possible in some way to exclude P143-(pseudo)sourced statements? This constraint is a one step forward, but there is a little difference between unsourced statement and P143-pseudosourced statement, and a huge difference between these two and a properly sourced statement. Wostr (talk) 01:24, 4 November 2018 (UTC)