Jump to navigation Jump to search
The aim of the WikiProject Wikivoyage is:
- To develop templates that draw directly on Wikidata that will replace templates currently in use on Wikivoyage.
- To develop new templates that bring new functionality to Wikivoyage.
- To move geo and listings data to Wikidata for common use.
- Wikivoyage presented links to other projects within the sidebar using the extension RelatedSites since January 2007. Site URLs are written in the article’s source code,
- Starting a Location database — a precursor of Wikidata — on October 17, 2008 storing the geographical hierarchy, geographical position, size (diameter) and measurement accuracy of a location, interwiki links including the image repository shared, minimum, average and maximum heights with different units. Form presentation used Mediawiki software. Different data items were managed by different modules. The same ideas were used later at Wikidata.
- Wikivoyage is using Wikidata data since August 27, 2013 with the Module:Basic.
Module and template development
- Module:Basic — basic functionality presenting geo coordinates and sidebar project links with the RelatedSites extension.
- Module:Wikidata2, replacing former Module:Wikidata — extracting and formatting data from Wikidata, handling delimiters, units, selection of single items, getting the hierarchy of administrative subdivisions, browsing different data items, and showing the complete entity tree.
- Module:Quickbar2, replacing former Module:Quickbar — basic functionality presenting data in an infobox named Quickbar at Wikivoyage
- Module:Quickbar Ort — presents infobox data of a location
- Module:Quickbar Region — presents infobox data of a region
- Module:Marker — presents a marker symbol linked to a Kartographer map
- Module:vCard — presenting data like local and translated names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, official urls and social-media services, types of listed organizations, geo positions and links to Kartographer maps, opening hours and checkin, and so on.
- Template:Offizielle Webseite — presents the official website of a location or organization.
- Template:Quickbar Ort — presents infobox data of a location including an image, administrative subdivision, number of inhabitants, height and a position map of the location and the website and phone number(s) of the tourist information.
- Template:Quickbar Region — presents infobox data of a region including flags, coats of arms, seals, image, capital, number of inhabitants, area, local dialing code, postal code and the official website of a region.
- Template:GeoData — presenting the geo postion of a location as an indicator. The accuracy of the geo position is estimated from the location size and measurement accuracy.
- Template:Unesco — marking a site as a Unesco world heritage as an indicator linking to the associated county and continent.
- Template:Marker, Template:vCard — using the modules of the same name mentioned above
- Formatting opening hours in Wikidata like OSM.
- Transfering OSM data to Wikidata, using OSM data.
Known problems in Wikidata
- Missing, wrong and unchecked data,
- Missing levels of administrative subdivisions,
- Missing geotype property: (set of) point and diameter, line and width, polygon. Calculation of the centroid/geometric center.
- Selecting individual items from a set like number of inhabitants: no timestamps of the input or missing rankings,
- Handling addresses, streets and street numbers (street number before or behind a street name?),
- Poor Lua Wikidata API: module developments necessary at each Wiki,
- No SPARQL Lua interface.