Wikidata:WikidataCon 2019/Attend/Side events/iNaturalist workshop
iNaturalist is a citizen science project focused on biodiversity. It has a large community of enthusiasts, of which some are also active in the various Wikimedia communities. The Wikiproject iNaturalist aims at improving the cross-pollination between iNaturalist and Wikimedia communities. Wikimedia Commons is an ideal platform to source iNaturalist with observations while iNaturalist with its high-grade annotations of observations provides valuable references to Wikidata statements. "Research grade" observations are incorporated into other online databases such as Global Biodiversity Information Facility. iNaturalist supports many Wikimedia-compatible licensing options, including CC0), Creative Commons Attribution and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike. Wikipedia articles are also used on iNaturalist to describe individual taxa.
In the aftermath of WikidataCon there will be a workshop to explore how the two platforms can benefit from each other. This would be split around an outdoor and in indoor session. For the outdoor session, you are invited to bring along your smartphone and/or camera where would go observe the wildlife surrounding the venue.
The second (indoor) session will be used to process the possibly annotated observations in Wikidata, Commons and Wikipedia. For both sessions it is beneficial to have an account on iNaturalist and possibly the app installed on your tablet or phone.
- Date: Sunday, October 27th
- Time: 09:00 to 16:30
- Location: Wikimedia Deutschland office and a park nearby
- Meeting point: 9:00 at Wikimedia Deutschland's office (Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 10963 Berlin, 1st floor)
- What to bring: computer, smartphone with the iNaturalist app, or camera.
- Organizers: andrawaag, Giantflightlessbirds
- Etherpad link with notes on what we discussed
- 9:00: meet at Wikimedia Deutschland's office
- 9:30: go to Gleisdreieck Park (Q2052591)
- Lunch: TBD
- 15:00: back to WMDE's office to import data
- 15:30: presentation to the WikiBase workshop
Please add your name below if you plan to attend. This event is independent from the WikidataCon and people who don't attend to the conference can attend to the iNaturalist workshop.
- Ambrosia10 (talk) 10:42, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
- Yayamamo (talk) 15:41, 27 September 2019 (UTC)
- Shahadusadik (talk) 13:08, 2 October 2019 (UTC)
- Giantflightlessbirds (talk) 13:59, 9 October 2019 (UTC)
- Jane023 (talk) 11:13, 27 October 2019 (UTC)
- Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits
- Andrawaag (talk) 13:33, 27 October 2019 (UTC)
- We introduced new users to the iNaturalist app and went through the upload, image licensing, and identification process.
- The group went for an hour-and-a-half field trip through Gleisdreieck Park, next to the Wikimedia Deutschland offices. Although the weather was damp and chilly, we observed numerous plants and several birds, insects, snails, and fungi. We made 95 observations of 53 species (see our observation map here).
- After returning to the WMDE offices for lunch, we installed the iNaturalist2Commons gadget and added our best (research-grade) photos to Commons. We also recorded notes on possible improvements to the iNaturalist2Commons and iNaturalist interface (see our Etherpad notes).
- All 27 October 2019 iNaturalist observations in Gleisdreieck Park
- Wikidata Wikiproject iNaturalist
- Category:Wikiproject iNaturalist WDC19
- Wiki Loves iNaturalist tool (a proof-of-concept demo)
- iNaturalist2Commons tool by User:Kaldari