Wikidata:WikidataCon 2017/Submissions/Wikibase: How to survive the install and data normalization to get pretty research information
- Submission no. 74
- Title of the submission
- Wikibase: How to survive the install and data normalization to get pretty research information
- Author(s) of the submission
- Laura Hale, Miguel Paraz
- E-mail address
- lauraparasport-news.com, mparazgmail.com
- Country of origin
- Spain, Australia
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- ParaSport-news.com, no affiliation
- EtherPad for documentation
- Type of session
- Length of session
- 45 minutes
- Ideal number of attendees
One of the greatest potentials for Wikidata is to make the underlying software more accessible, and to encourage more people to use it for their own research projects and large scale databases. Doing so would bring additional developers to the community to build tools that benefit academics, other researchers and free culture specialists to support this work, which in turn will assist the Wikidata community by bringing in additional people who may not otherwise have decided to use Wikibase.
This talk will focus on the technical aspects of doing a Wikibase and Query Engine install, issues around data normalization and data importing, creating queries to make use of data, and other challenges associated with this activity in the context of building a large disability sport database. The first part will focus on some of the issues discovered with the install, provide guidance on how to complete tasks where documentation is lacking, and explain some places where things can go wrong. The second part will focus on data issues, including how to structure data, and gathering and importing data when this information is not already in a structure format. The last part will focus on issues related to the query engine, including some basic tips on writing queries, and how easily you can crash your query engine and Wikibase install by formulating bad queries.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Challenges of installing Wikibase
- Challenges of installing the query engine
- Challenges related to using your own unstructured data, and figuring out how to structure it
- A desire to go and build their own Wikibase install.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.