Wikidata:WikidataCon 2017/Submissions/Well structured political data for the whole world: impossible utopia, or Wikidata at its best?
- Submission no. 71
- Title of the submission
- Well structured political data for the whole world: impossible utopia, or Wikidata at its best?
- Author(s) of the submission
- Lucy Chambers Lucyfediachambers (talk • contribs • logs)
- Tony Bowden Oravrattas (talk • contribs • logs)
- E-mail address
lucy [at] mysociety.org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Type of session
- Talk (the usual conference format. 45min, large audience)
- Length of session
- Ideal number of attendees
The more, the merrier!
- EtherPad for documentation
In July 2017, the EveryPolitician team set out to get consistent data for politicians for 30-40 countries. So how did that go?
We’ll talk you through the tactics we deployed — from running online “missions” to generating reports to highlight which data was missing.
Not every approach was wildly successful, but some were far more successful than we had expected! We’ll share what we learned and showcase what can now be achieved with the political information in Wikidata — then discuss our ideas for the next steps.
If you have plans to head up a drive to get data — of any kind — into Wikidata, we have pointers that should save you time and effort. And if you’re specifically interested in political data, there will also be much to interest you.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Participants will learn:
- The various methods we tried in order to get this data into Wikidata: what worked, and what we’d do differently next time.
- Considerations and challenges of treading the balance between automation and manual entry.
- What are the main difficulties in trying to capture the messy reality of politics in a structured form?
They will also see all kinds of fun queries which are now possible because we have data for them in Wikidata.
- Slides or further information
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.
- Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits
- —M@sssly✉ 08:29, 23 July 2017 (UTC)
- Andrew Gray (talk) 22:05, 23 July 2017 (UTC)
- ArthurPSmith (talk) 20:32, 24 July 2017 (UTC)
- Andreasm háblame / just talk to me 03:38, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
- seav (talk) 18:20, 30 July 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 08:15, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Envlh (talk) 08:24, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Alessandro Piscopo (talk) 14:27, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Looniverse (talk) 14:30, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Jklamo (talk) 00:08, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- Sannita (mySociety) (talk) 19:49, 2 September 2017 (UTC)
- Stefankasberger (talk) 14:56, 6 September 2017 (UTC)
- Neumarcx (talk) 10:59, 26 October 2017 (UTC)