Wikidata:WikidataCon 2017/Submissions/Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons: what's coming, and how to be involved as Wikidatans
- Submission no. 57
- Title of the submission
Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons: what's coming, and how to be involved as Wikidatans
- Author(s) of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Type of session
Discussion or Meetup
- Length of session
- Ideal number of attendees
- EtherPad for documentation
The Wikimedia Foundation and WMDE are currently working to integrate structured data support with the the software that enables Wikidata, Wikibase, into Wikimedia Commons. Structured data will turn Wikimedia Commons into a more engage-able platform from editors and readers, improving discovery, organization and the pathway for small contributions in all of the languages supported by Wikimedia projects. Additionally, providing a better Metadata infrastructure allows for better uploading of content from partner communities who want to share their media and to dynamically take advantage of the Wikimedia community's environment. Like Wikidata, structured data on multimedia files will allow for more dynamic results and improvements to how Commons content can be used both within and beyond the Wikimedia movement.
Sandra Fauconnier, community liaison, will explain the updated plans for the project, with a focus on technological developments, and what we are learning from community engagement and research.
Together, the attendees of this session will identify the challenges that we expect to be upcoming, and discuss ways in which the Wikidata community can be involved in the upcoming years.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will understand what Structured Data on Commons is about.
- Attendees will know about the upcoming plans for Structured Data on Commons: what will be developed, what the timeline is, and where and how communities and developers will be engaged in the project.
- The session ideally results in ideas and plans for active involvement and support for the project by interested members from the Wikidata community.
- Slides or further information
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.
- --YULdigitalpreservation (talk) 12:07, 27 July 2017 (UTC)
- seav (talk) 18:17, 30 July 2017 (UTC)
- NavinoEvans (talk) 22:20, 30 July 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 08:05, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Jane023 (talk) 21:01, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 18:12, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 14:19, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- Sic19 (talk) 20:54, 20 August 2017 (UTC)
- Gikü (talk) 15:19, 21 August 2017 (UTC)
- Jon Harald Søby (WMNO) (talk) 08:53, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
- Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits
- --Sky xe (talk) 14:12, 23 October 2017 (UTC)
- -- Hakan·IST 18:48, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- Rosiestep (talk) 03:11, 27 October 2017 (UTC)