Wikidata:WikiProject Interesting Content
The WikiProject Interesting Content recognizes the role of dynamic content and first-person accounts, such as data visualizations and hacker/dev/research blogs, in communicating the value and opportunities of a project like Wikidata. It also acknowledges the importance of community building to sustaining Wikimedia Foundation projects, and how this in part can be achieved through the recognition of contributions to Wikidata.
With these two things in mind, the aim of the WikiProject Interesting Content is to promote some of the awesome work coming out of the Wikidata community.
Its goals will be to:
- collect, recommend, and select interesting content related to Wikidata
- prepare interesting content to be featured on the Main page "Discover" section
- coordinate regular updates to the "Discover" section of the Main page (including necessary related tasks and subtasks such as translation)
Other possible tasks the WikiProject could take on:
- help manage and update Wikidata:Press coverage (at time of writing, the last item was added to the page in December 2013)
- discuss and develop processes related to Wikidata:Showcase_items
- 1 Participants
- 2 Discussion
- 3 Guidelines
- 4 Suggestions for Interesting Content
- 5 Suggestions for future content
- develop criteria for selection of content to be featured on the Main page
- does a content item need a certain # of support votes by other users?
- what happens in conflict-of-interest cases when a user recommending content is the author?
- how to select for something like WikiProject of the month? Should we select? Or should WikiProjects submit themselves as candidates?
- develop recommendations for a schedule of content
- can the same content be featured on the Main page more than once?
- how frequently can a certain item of content be repeated?
- how often should the "Discover section" be updated?
- should outside tools/platforms be highlighted, for example Histropedia?
- suggestions for content should include licensing information if an image or media file and/or your own work
- on Commons, use Category:Wikidata interesting content
Suggestions for Interesting Content
- interesting applications and easy-to-understand (or are supported by adequate documentation); pull from Wikidata:Tools/External_tools
- could also include gadgets/scripts that make editing/contributing easier
- showcase items (display using Reasonator?), example: Douglas Adams
- may depend on updates to Wikidata:Showcase_items?
- newly created or working towards a deadline for something, on in support of something newsworthy
- research/analysis conducted using Wikidata (by users or by press)
- Les artistes ont-ils vraiment plus de risque de mourir à 27 ans ?
- The most unique Wikipedias according to Wikidata
- What is Wikipedia about?, a dataviz of the distribution of property P31, designed by AskMedia
- could be between sister projects, could be with other datasets/data collaborators
- how up-to-date is Wikidata:Data_collaborators?
Did you know?
- statistics-driven; source from Wikidata:Database_reports
- something to the effect of "did you know our 5 most popular properties are a, b, c, d, e?"
On this day
- could pick out events and link them to items (similar to Twitter account), or could scrape from Wikipedia's "On this day" and point to related items
Suggestions for future content
- for when queries are implemented
Maintenance of the month
- could spotlight collective maintenance tasks for Wikidata looking for contributors, example: moving all task forces to WikiProjects
- depends on creation of said portal