Wikidata:WikiProject Built heritage/ASI Monuments
This page is a guide for adding Archaeological Survey of India Monuments to Wikidata as for the purposes of the Cultural Heritage project.
- Check the List of monuments on Wikipedia
- It is also worth cross referencing against the official ASI list as sometimes users may have changed or added monuments not maintained by the ASI.
- Try to find an existing page that may have the monument. There are generally three places that these may be located
- Check the link on the list pages
- Search Wikipedia for the name of the monument
- Search Wikipedia for the town/city in which the monument is located. Sometimes monuments may be known by alternate names than those they are called by the ASI.
- Search Wikimedia Commons for the ASI Monument ID and check if there are any Wikipedia pages that link there
- If no Wikidata page exists, create it
Wikidata items for ASI Monuments should have at least the following categories. The constraints of ASI Monument Id can be checked through its discussion page for this list as well.
- ASI Monument Id - Should be the same as the ID on the Wikipedia list page.
- Instance of
- Heritage status - Monument of National Importance/ State Protected Monument
- Note that previously, the heritage status property has its own constraints
- Country - India
- Administrative entity - This should be at least at the district level. Some of the cities are very small and not on Wikipedia/Wikidata. Preferably, create an item for the city/village in Wikidata, if it is not present.
The following properties are also sometimes easily available
- Image and Commons Category- Check Wikimedia Commons either by:
- searching for the monument name
- searching for the ASI Monument ID in double quotes
- Images may also be found in the British Library's collections (an example image)
- coordinate location - Google Maps is useful for finding this. ISRO's All India Inventory of Sites and Monuments for Monument of National Importance can also be helpful to find location of monuments which do not have Wikipedia article.
Add the following to your [[<tvar|common>Special:MyPage/common.js</>|common.js]]