Wikidata:Status updates/2020 05 25
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is the Wikidata summary of the week before 2020-05-25.
- Past: WikidataLab XXXIII: Wiki-Education and Data Literacy with Shani Evenstein on May 21st. The training in English was organized by Wiki Movement Brazil User Group. (replay)
- Past: Wikipedia Weekly Network - LIVE Wikidata editing #6 (YouTube)
- Past: Art+Feminism virtual Wikidata editathon by Global Open Initiative on May 19. (Video) Part 1, Part 2
- Upcoming: Wikidata Wochenende, event dedicated to the German-speaking Wikidata community, will take place fully remote on June 12-14. If you're interested, don't forget to register. We're looking for speakers to give introductions to Wikidata & tools.
- Upcoming #vBIB20 (Q94495218) the first fully remote German library conference: May 26-28. Metadata about all presentations are already stored in Wikidata: Query. Some sessions and presentations are related to Wikidata or other Wikiprojects:
- Upcoming: Online Wikidata editathon in Swedish #14, May 31
- The Missing Path: Diagnosing Incompleteness in Linked Data ("We describe our iterative design process and evaluation with Wikidata contributors")
- EURECOM at the SemStats 2019 Challenge ("we study the coverage of [the official database of French enterprises] in Wikidata")
- Enriching Knowledge Bases with Interesting Negative Statements ("we argue for the importance of negative information on knowledge bases, and present two methods to mine it")
- Video: Editing Wikidata: File Candidates tool and World heritage of Visby - Youtube, Facebook
Tool of the week
- If you're looking for even more tools, the Tools Directory indexes over 130 Wikidata tools.
Other Noteworthy Stuff
- New tool: Structured Search, a tool allowing you to search through Wikimedia Commons using structured data, is now live. This tool by Hay Kranen was demoed at Wikimedia Hackathon 2020.
- New tool: script by Tohaomg to easily rearrange the order of values for statements in Wikidata (to be added to your common.js page)
- New documentation page: Wikidata:How to create Wikidata Tours
- Teaching notes for introducing people to Wikidataː User:Einebillion/Teaching notes
- The Wikidata development team created a distributed Wikidata game called Reference hunt!. With this game, you get a suggestion of an Item and a reference based on structured data from an external website. Try it and leave us feedback.
- Gabriel, an intern at the Google Summer of Code is developing a tool to assist users in verifying (structured) data of media on commons. If you want to help, feel free to fill out this questionnaire.
Did you know?
- Newest properties:
- General datatypes: molecular model, is metaclass for, lighting, type of age limit, nominal share capital, content partnership category, field of training
- External identifiers: iDAI.chronontology ID, iDAI.gazetteer ID, Archaeology in Greece Online place ID, ASUT ID, NMMA antiquities ID, NMMA built heritage ID, DB chgk, K-Scholar ID, Wyoming SHPO ID, Lower Austrian Castle ID, Co-Optimus ID, Bookogs credit ID, Wiener Wohnen ID, Arkansas Register of Historic Places ID, Augustins de l'Assomption ID, LiederNet author ID, LiederNet composer ID, LiederNet song cycle ID, LiederNet text ID, Bibliography of the History of Slovakia ID, MACRIS ID, National Register Database, Louisiana ID, Niden INE, 500 Queer Scientists profile, Mediaqueer.ca Artist ID, Mediaqueer.ca Movie ID, Natural Atlas ID, Colon Classification, MDAH's HRI ID, RI National Register Search ID, CTHS author ID, name-suggestion-index identifier, PC Games Database.de company ID, SNES central game ID, Super Mario Wiki ID, Wikilengua article
- New property proposals to review:
- General datatypes: US Fault ID, estimated value, funder, principal investigator, contributed to Wikimedia Commons by, Theater poster, transitive over, approval of subject, living people protection class
- External identifiers: Monasteries in the Netherlands until 1800 ID, Library classifications' IDs for topics, Absolute Games game ID, Absolute Games person ID, Absolute Games developer and publisher IDs, ModelHub ID, npm package, AusStage person ID, AusStage venue ID, AusStage organization ID, AusStage work ID, Montreux Jazz Festival song ID, Montreux Jazz Festival person ID, motorsportstats.com event ID, Veldkruus, AustLit ID, AFL player ID, Bioweb Ecuador ID, FilmPolski press collection ID, NTB ID, Odeon ID, Montreux Jazz Festival concert ID, Canadian Football League player ID, cadastral municipality number in Austria, Britannica Kids, Latin texts IDs, Medusa NRHP ID, Noovie person ID, Artsdatabanken ID, ICTV taxnode ID, LongTake person ID, ESRB video game ID, OnlyFans ID
- Query examples:
- Famous mathematicians related to famous actors (Source)
- West Highlands of Scotland rail line connections (Source)
- Universities ranked by PageRank on English Wikipedia (Source)
- Interactive, zoomable tree map of second level administrative regions of the world (Source)
- Number of alphabets which use this letter (Source)
- Metabolites and the species where they are found in (Source)
- Items in the United Kingdom with coordinate location (P625) on or near 1 degree 50 west (Source)
- Map of Tunisian museums (Source)
- Map of pairs of homonymous French municipalities linked by a colored line according to the distance (Source)
- Women botanists or botanical collectors with a birth date prior to 1900 (Source)
- vBIB20 lectures in Wikidata (Source)
- Federated properties: Linking to the source wiki immediately after saving a statement (phab:T251776)
- Properly display federated properties on a local item's Revision History page (phab:T249836)
- Documentation for federated properties (phab:T252991, phab:T252861)
- Last steps of getting the distributed game "Reference hunt" ready
- Wikidata Bridge: more work on error messages
- Track errors people encounter when using the Bridge (phab:T252683)
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here. If you want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer.
- Add labels, in your own language(s), for the new properties listed above.
- Comment on property proposals: all open proposals
- Contribute to a Showcase item.
- Help translate or proofread the interface and documentation pages, in your own language!
- Help merge identical items across Wikimedia projects.
- Help write the next summary!