Wikidata:Status updates/2016 10 08
This is the Wikidata summary of the week before 2016-10-08.
- During the British wildlife edit-a-thon 2016, attendees added bird sounds from Europeana Sounds to Wikidata and over 60 Wikipedias
- Past: WikiConference in San Diego, USA
- Upcoming: Wikidata workshop by Wikimedia Nederland, October 20, Utrecht
- by Amical Wikimedia (ca)
- A Natural Language Query Engine without Machine Learning, on A Young Programmer's blog
- The Wikimedia Foundation will now directly fund basic expenses for Wikidata software development, on WMF blog
- People buried on cemetery and if they have a picture of the grave or not by Magnus Sälgö
- Sunday Query : où meurent les Bretons ? (fr) by Ash_Crow
- Charts and data about Brexit & US Elections, by Hector Perez
Other Noteworthy Stuff
- Proposition for upgrading the default copyright license for Wikimedia projects to CC-by-SA 4.0 (does not affect the structured data part of Wikidata, which uses CC0).
- 3 Wikidata-related projects will be funded by WMF grants : Librarybase, Lua module and WikiFactMine
- Query service analysis: What kind of things are people doing with WDQS? and Who are our WDQS users and where are they from?
- chemical compounds in Wikipedia and Wikidata, talk by Sebastian Burgstaller
- PetScan tool past half a million queries since April (source)
Did you know?
- Newest properties: KANTL member ID, Angel List ID, storyboard artist, content deliverer, Actorenregister ID, Zeri image ID, compulsory education (maximum age), compulsory education (minimum age), Fotografen.nl ID, PORT organization URL, Flickr user ID, LocFDD ID, MySpace ID, radix, base, has anatomical branch, anatomical branch of, points awarded, intangible cultural heritage status, LiveJournal ID, Queensland place ID, Cave E-Cadastre ID, Property proposal discussion, optimum viable temperature, maximum viable temperature, minimum viable temperature
- Query examples:
- Newest external tools: new Wikidata game, Alias Candidates (by MagnusManske)
- Newest database reports: List of embassies has now summaries by host country and by country represented
- The property talk namespace now has subpages enabled (phabricator:T146271)
- More work on automated sitelinks for Wiktionary (phabricator:T987)
- More work on federation for Commons in order to be able to use Wikidata's items and properties there (phabricator:T76007)
- Adding entity usage information in action=edit on Wikipedia and co (phabricator:T144921)
- Working on making it possible to get formatted values back on the client. With this we will for example link the value to a Wikipedia article where possible. (phabricator:T142940)
- Hack on one of these.
- Help develop the next summary here!
- Contribute to a Showcase item
- Help translate or proofread pages in your own language!
- Help merge identical items across Wikimedia projects.
- Add labels, in your own language(s), for the new properties listed above.
- Comment on property proposals: all open proposals - proposals needing attention