Wikidata:Property proposal/applies to name of object
applies to name of object
applies to name (P5168) is intended to be used to indicate to which name a claim applies for the item the claim is on (the subject). However, it's naming (in English anyway) is ambiguous and could be interpreted as the same thing but with respect to a name of the claim's item value (the object).
This wouldn't be an issue for trivial cases where all of the following is true:
- The subject and object do not have similar names
- One of (or both) the subject and object is confirmed to have a single name
In such cases it can be implicitly determined which (the subject or object) the claim was intended to apply to. If they have similar names, then there's an obvious ambiguity. If both have multiple names then there's ambiguity in that (while it may be true the value matches a name listed only for one) it is unknown whether Wikidata could be missing name information which takes us back to the case of similar names.
I think, in general, it's better to explicitly specify data than rely on an implicit connection by matching the value to a name of either the subject or object and assuming this is always a trivial case. Additionally, by having these two separate properties it fixes any ambiguity in the use of P5168 which was originally intended to only apply to a name of the subject - which if we assume is still the case then this separate property is necessary for situations as described above anyway. I see this as analogous to subject has role (P2868) and object has role (P3831).
If this property is approved then I would also recommend updating the labels of P5168 to reflect that it is for the subject. Existing statements could be reviewed for misuse by filtering for cases where the value does not match any name listed for the subject. SilentSpike (talk) 15:33, 18 February 2020 (UTC)
- Support, but I think the datatype should be a lexeme: Tinker Bell ★ ♥ 19:43, 19 February 2020 (UTC) --
- Oppose This proposal is basically for a "tickbox" property with no actual target Wikidata item, from a data point of view, it just doesn't work (and I don't think we should want it to). Circeus (talk) 13:30, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
- Huh? I'm afraid I don't understand your objection. It's not a boolean value, it's a monolingual string - a valid Wikidata datatype. It specifies which name of the claim object the claim applies to. Very similar to the existing property which specifies which name of the claim subject the claim applies to. Analogous to the existing role qualifiers for subject and object. There's precedent for properties of this type. --SilentSpike (talk) 13:49, 28 February 2020 (UTC)