Wikidata:WikiProject Cultural heritage
Looking for the former "WikiProject Cultural heritage"? - It has moved to Wikidata:WikiProject Built heritage.
Aim and Vision
The aim of this project is to coordinate, facilitate and promote the ingestion of cultural heritage related data into Wikidata, to facilitate the cleansing and enhancement of this data and to promote its use across Wikipedia, its sister projects and beyond. It is our vision to establish Wikidata as a central hub for data integration, data enhancement, and data management in the heritage domain.
- Provide an overview over all cultural heritage related WikiProjects on Wikidata.
- Make sure that all cultural heritage related data that fulfill the notability criteria are ingested into Wikidata.
- Gradually increase the quality and completeness of the data.
- Promote the use of heritage related data within Wikipedia, its sister projects and beyond.
- Promote the involvement of a broader community in the ingestion, cleansing, enhancement, and use of heritage related data in Wikidata.
- Coordinate the activities of the Wikidata community with key stakeholders of the heritage community.
- Promote the exchange of best practices and encourage cross-pollination across WikiProjects.
This project was called into being in fall 2016 after the experience of ingesting the data about Swiss heritage institutions has led to the following insights:
- A good overview of cultural heritage related projects and data was lacking on the Wikidata platform.
- The learning curve for being able to handle the data ingestion process autonomously was (and still is) rather steep, putting the average potential contributor in front of insurmountable hurdles.
- The huge potential of Wikidata for the heritage domain can hardly be tapped into without better coordination, documentation, and outreach to relevant partners.
This section contains case reports regarding the ingestion of heritage related data on Wikidata; they provide a basis for further developing our practice. Please consider sharing your own valuable experiences by writing your own report !
- Flemish Art Collections, Wikidata and Linked Open Data (Whitepaper), Sandra Fauconnier, October 2015
- And a manual for data management and import, resulting from the same project, March 2016
- Ingesting Data about Swiss Heritage Institutions, Beat Estermann, November 2016
- Towards Ingesting GLAM Inventories on a Global Scale, Beat Estermann, January 2017
- Wikimedia Commons Structured Data Project – project aiming to allow the storage of information for media files in a structured way on Wikimedia Commons
- Connected Open Heritage Project – project focusing on the ingestion of data about built heritage
- Data Import Hub / Data Import Guide – presently in draft stage
Add yourself at Wikidata:WikiProject_Cultural_heritage/Participants
- Beat Estermann (talk) 23:21, 30 November 2016 (UTC)
- Vladimir Alexiev (talk) 11:25, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
See some suggestions on the talk page...