Wikidata weekly summary #520
Wikidata weekly summary #519
Wikidata weekly summary #518
Education statements from Orcid profiles
Hi Sic19, I just want to express my appreciation for your work pulling in education history from Orcid profiles. I am currently matching authors to dissertation in a large dataset, and having the type of qualification, institution and start or finish dates available directly in the Wikidata author item is saving me a lot of time and effort. So thank you! Cheers, DrThneed
Wikidata weekly summary #517
Wikidata weekly summary #516
Wikidata weekly summary #515
Separate building and hostel
Should this place Q26397887 not be two items, since one is the building and the other is the hostel
Yes, I agree that the building and hostel (business) are conceptually different but decided to merge after some analysis because:
- The parent of hostel (Q654772) is hotel (Q27686), which is a currently a subclass of architectural structure (Q811979). Consequentially the merged items belong to the same class.
- Some of the existing items that were updated when you imported the hostel dataset are listed buildings, e.g. YHA Penzance (Q5050152) and Ratagan Youth Hostel (Q56616634) and merging seemed consistent with that.
- The hostel item had a coordinate location (P625) claim, which applies to the building and not the organisation.
Thanks for the work you are doing on hotel and hostel data - I've noticed the new items appearing on Wikishootme recently. From my perspective, it is not a problem if you'd prefer to revert my merge and add the relationship between the two items instead.
All the best,
I appreciate your input, I know it's a tricky question and I agree it's often easier to have it all in one item. But for data quality it's often better to keep it separted to prevent using many qualifiers. If the item has an owner/inception/abolished date property would it refer you to the hotel business or the building. It won't be clear. But for me, it isn't even clear what exactly a hotel is, so there's that :)
OpenRefine and SDC updates: user survey and monthly office hours
Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for updates about the Structured Data on Commons (SDC) features that are currently developed for OpenRefine.
Short survey for SDC features in OpenRefine
OpenRefine is running a short survey to learn about user needs and expectations for its new SDC features. If you upload files to Wikimedia Commons and/or edit structured data there, please help by filling in this survey!
Monthly OpenRefine and Wikimedia office hours
OpenRefine's community meetup of February 22 was very well attended. You can see its recording, slides and notes here. The team now hosts monthly, informal office hours for Wikimedians (online, via Zoom). Upcoming office hours are:
- Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 4PM UTC (how late is this in my timezone?)
- Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 8AM UTC (how late is this in my timezone?)
- Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 4PM UTC (how late is this in my timezone?)
The Zoom link of the next office hour will be posted on OpenRefine's info page on Wikimedia Commons. Please drop by and say hi!