User talk:John Vandenberg
Welcome to Wikidata, John Vandenberg!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
- 1 Merge
- 2 Property:P1055
- 3 chromosome (P1057)
- 4 Files
- 5 Subpages
- 6 MedalBot
- 7 Wikimedia list article (Q13406463)
- 8 Literary critics
- 9 What is the suffix /R /TS /TN etc mean
- 10 Historisk Tidsskrift
- 11 statements at Wikimedia disambiguation pages
- 12 Wikidata:Requests for permissions/Bot/MedalBot
- 13 New tool to find duplicate items
- 14 Re: Odd description
- 15 Re: Cassida vibex vs Cassida viridis bot problem
- 16 Dharma Drum Buddhist College
- 17 About GZWDer (flood) bot
- 18 Spotted a mistake
Hallo John Vandenberg,
When you merge items, please use the Merge.js gadget. It helps you merging, nominating, gives the option to always keep the lower number (which is older, so preferable) and makes it a lot easier for the admins to process the requests.
If you don't have account, you may have to Create Account. With regards,--by Revi at 09:04, 30 November 2013 (UTC)
- OK, will do. Thanks for the tip. John Vandenberg (talk) 09:07, 30 November 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you for informing me. I was going to ask about that when I woke up, so you have saved me the trouble. John Vandenberg (talk) 00:12, 31 December 2013 (UTC)
Please discuss about whether we can include some subtemplates at Wikidata:Requests for comment/Interwiki links for subpages.--GZWDer (talk) 05:30, 31 December 2013 (UTC)
- WMF is a legal Foundation. I don't think the legal Foundation have any special relationship with these list articles. Also, I have yet to find any evidence that this entity is suitable on items other than WikiPedia list pages. Have you seen list items for Wikibooks or Wikivoyage? If so, are the Wikibooks/Wikivoyage items really of the same class as the Wikipedia list pages? John Vandenberg (talk) 10:22, 4 March 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Kolja21, yes I saw this and a few other problems and stopped the bot until I can undo my bots edits, and prevent this happening again. The cause is en:Category:Newspapers published in the United Kingdom contains en:Category:British journalists, which contains en:Category:British critics, which contains en:Category:British literary critics. That category tree is insane, but I shouldn't have my bot on that category without manually approving each edit. I will automatically revert the bot on the problematic data items. John Vandenberg (talk) 21:40, 6 March 2014 (UTC)
What is the suffix /R /TS /TN etc meanEdit
I think there might be an issue with Historisk Tidsskrift (Q15793533). Its a disambiguation page according to its linked English Wikipedia page en:Historisk Tidsskrift, yet have ERA. — Finn Årup Nielsen (fnielsen) (talk) 15:20, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Great, nice find. There will be a few of these, as I aggressively linked to a Wikipedia page when creating new items if at all possible (if it matched on ISSN, or on title if the title contained a variation of the word 'journal' in either English or local language), rather than allowing the bot to create duplicates. John Vandenberg (talk) 15:38, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
statements at Wikimedia disambiguation pagesEdit
- Hi, yes the bot has made a few mistakes like this. Thank you for finding and alerting me. The bot was in once-only aggressive heuristically mode, trying to identify all items which are periodicals or creative works in periodicals, and letting constraint exception reporting highlight the problems. See that item, where nl:Combat (tijdschrift) (a journal) was inappropriately linked with a disambiguation page by another bot. ;-( I have done detailed verification of all items with a ERA Journal ID (P1058), most items with ISSN (P236) but not yet carefully reviewed all items with (OBSOLETE) title (use P1476, "title") (P357). As we now have a good journal database, all ongoing periodical work presumes that any two conflicting pieces of data must be reviewed by bot operator rather than proceed with a constraint violation. John Vandenberg (talk) 08:21, 27 April 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks. I saw the email. I will begin work again when I have returned to Indonesia. John Vandenberg (talk) 02:40, 5 May 2014 (UTC)
New tool to find duplicate itemsEdit
- @Magnus Manske: "Item Christmas Island (Q686310) has potential duplicates: Christmas Island (Q16351925)" It should have suggested Christmas Island (Q31063) is the item it is likely a duplicate of.
- These are dups created because of your tools. Based on User talk:GZWDer#Creating duplicates unnecessarily, User talk:Daniel Mietchen#So many Widar enabled errors? (which could be as high as 70% error rate), and others, I wouldnt be surprised if we are talking hundreds of thousands of duplicates which are all going to grow into bot-populated items, until someone puts in a man month or more to clean up the mess. John Vandenberg (talk) 13:50, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
- "These are dups created because of your tools." That is, factually, a lie. Undoubtedly, some of them were created using my tools. How many, I do not know, and neither do you. FWIW, I looked at some of the dupes I merged, and didn't find any created though my OAuth tools; however, I spotted several created by User:GZWDer (flood). Maybe he'll be more receptive to your blame attempts. --Magnus Manske (talk) 15:23, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
Re: Odd descriptionEdit
Re: Cassida vibex vs Cassida viridis bot problemEdit
Dharma Drum Buddhist CollegeEdit
Excuse me for butting in on your work, but can you explain why you added P1188 Dharma Drum Buddhist College place ID to Q668 India? That seems like a strange property for a country to have? SpinningSpark 10:19, 10 June 2014 (UTC)
- I think I have correctly mapped it to the record their database. http://authority.ddbc.edu.tw/place/search.php?code=PL000000048207 . My apologies if it is wrong. John Vandenberg (talk) 03:49, 13 June 2014 (UTC)
About GZWDer (flood) botEdit
Spotted a mistakeEdit
Hi, I hope that this message will help you improve your bot. A newspaper Moskovskij Komsomolets (Q1062623) was mistakenly labelled as an instance of scientific journal (Q5633421) in February last year. There also seem to be some other things labelled as scientific journals, but which don't actually publish scientific research... They should instead be instances of academic journal (Q737498). --BurritoBazooka (talk) 20:34, 21 September 2015 (UTC)
- Not sure about that last bit, actually. I just happened to find one really easily and assumed there are more. It might have just been by chance. --BurritoBazooka (talk) 20:40, 21 September 2015 (UTC)
- okay, I looked through the descriptions and labels of around 390 items labelled "scientific journal" (list was returned by AutoList2) and out of those found 7 (including that newspaper) which do not publish research, or research exclusively, or are not related to science, or science exclusively. I only looked at the labels and tried to guess before looking in more detail, so there might be more of them. All of them were labelled as scientific journals by your bot.
- They were:
- Harvard Law Review (Q1365125) - law review
- Daedalus (Q1270415) - science and arts journal
- Nordlyd (Q12717259) - mainly related to the science of linguistics, but not science exclusively
- Israel Law Review (Q12403262) - law review, described as law journal on Wikipedia so I went with that
- Die Welt des Islams (Q1217470) - academic (anthropology?) journal, focuses on literature and history
- Moskovskij Komsomolets (Q1062623) - newspaper
- International Journal of Ethics (Q15755944) - philosophy journal