Welcome to Wikidata, Jmabel!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, please ask me on [[User talk:|my talk page]]. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
Gardens and parks
I have been pleased to see your aptitude and interest in Wikidata. You made the jump here well and you continually raise good issues. I like your regular presence here.
You asked a bit about urban parks. I wanted to signal to you that there is an organization which has made some friendly moves into Wikipedia and Wikidata and which has open data about parks in the United States.
There is not anyone at this organization who has the time to commit to Wikimedia projects in a regular way but their information is available. As with most of these relationship the initial barrier is data modeling and getting Wikidata consensus on what information we want. If we made a specific request someone there might assist.
- I haven't taken up any particular interest in parks here. I've just been following up from the Wikidata Infoboxes attached to Commons categories on my watchlist, since the Wikidata content affects Commons, and trying to fix the at least partial, and sometimes complete, messes I find in about two cases out of three. - Jmabel (talk) 15:47, 27 June 2018 (UTC)