User:Planemad mapbox/World places translation project
The world places translation project is supported by w:en:Mapbox to translate every major place in the world into major world languages. This data is used to enrich the Mapbox geocoding API. The project was discussed and supported by the community in November 2016.
The Mapbox team creates a list of world places linked to Wikidata ids used by the Carmen open source geocoder. A CSV of missing translations in the target languages is created using lookup-osm-wikidata. The missing translations are sourced using professional translators and checked for quality internally.
The checked translations are batch uploaded to Wikidata using the wikidata-label-upload pywikibot script and verified for correct upload.
Over 20,000 missing place translations have been uploaded in 12 languages as of May 2017. This includes labels of cities, regions and countries. Check Special:Contributions/Planemad_mapbox
If you are interested in helping review translations of world place names, please add your name to the list:
- German --Pasleim (talk) 13:24, 1 May 2017 (UTC)
- Norwegian (Bokmål)
- Finnish – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 18:15, 13 August 2017 (UTC)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Bengali - Bodhisattwa (talk) 04:53, 29 September 2017 (UTC)
- Turkish Beratti 💬 02:01, 29 May 2017 (UTC)
- Vietnamese Minh Nguyễn 💬 02:01, 2 May 2017 (UTC)
- Simplified Chinese
Mapbox maps using WIkidata
- Language switching on Mapbox GL maps https://mapbox.github.io/mapbox-gl-language/ [Github](https://github.com/mapbox/mapbox-gl-language)
- Country name explorer in various languages https://www.mapbox.com/bites/00336/
- Fetching Wikidata of a location using Mapbox geocoding https://blog.mapbox.com/our-geocoder-wikipedia-126e9bf2f2bc