User:Daniel Mietchen/FSCI 2017
This page facilitates an elective at the FORCE11 Scholarly Communication Institute (FSCI) 2017 in San Diego. It is entitled "WT07: Using Wikidata in Research and Curation" and scheduled to take place in the afternoons of Wednesday, August 2 and Thursday, August 3, 2017, from 13:30-16:30 PDT. More information will be added here on an ongoing basis in preparation for as well as during the course.
Introductions to Wikidata
- Listen to Wikidata
- Listen to tweets about Wikidata
- Wikidata identifiers for authority control
- Wikidata Game
- Wikidata by newbies for newbies
- Wikidata:WikiProject Welcome
- Wikidata newsletter
- Wikidata: the new hub for cultural heritage
- Using Wikidata as an open, community-maintained database of biomedical knowledge
- Wikidata:Menu Challenge
- Cultural heritage
- Timeline of (nearly) all wars
- Histropedia (based on Wikidata)
- The planet’s history of violence over 4,000 years in one simple map (DBpedia & Wikidata)
- Mapping resources using open knowledge: starting with books!
- Wikidata:WikiProject Zika Corpus
- Wikidata as a semantic framework for the Gene Wiki initiative
- Wikipedia infoboxes populated from Wikidata
- SPARQL examples
Selection of items
- Universe (Q1)
- Earth (Q2)
- life (Q3)
- Finland (Q33)
- astronomy (Q333)
- no label (Q3333)
- Newfoundland pony (Q33333)
- LiSA (Q333333)
- Meroplankton (Q3333333)
- Morphological changes due to Lead exposure and the influence of DMSA on the gill tissues of the freshwater fish, Catla catla. (Q33333333)
Selection of properties
- The Role of Librarians in Wikidata and WikiCite
- Fake news and Wikidata
- Using Wikidata in primary school
- Wikidata, WikiCite, and the "bibliography of life"
- Wikicite 2017, and the 7 features Wikidata needs most
- Wikidata:Wikidata for authority control
- Wikidata:EveryPolitician and associated subpages and blog posts
- Wikidata:WikiProject sum of all paintings and subpages
- Gender gap on Wikidata for scientists
- Wikidata, Canada 150, and music festival data
- Open knowledge in R with Wikimedia APIs
- 10 cool queries for Wikidata
FSCI participants registered for this elective are encouraged to create a Wikidata account and then to add their account name to this page. To do this, type four tildes (~~~~); upon saving the page, this will automatically insert your username and the date.
- Hannahbegley (talk) 17:01, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Dakane1 (talk) 21:57, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
- Hjsyoo (talk) 22:23, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
- Jgrethe (talk) 22:25, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
- Chumingchen (talk) 22:25, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
- Memartone (talk) 22:26, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
- Xlli (talk) 22:27, 2 August 2017 (UTC)
- Proccaserra (talk)
- Sign up as indicated in the section above
- Fill user page with basic content
- Take pictures of nearby sights, upload them to Wikimedia Commons and add them to the relevant Wikidata item
- Match MeSH terms with Wikidata
- Pick something from Wikidata:Contribute/Suggested and open tasks
The topics below came up in the discussion and have since all been addressed in one way or another. They are left in place in order to give an idea about what happened during the course.
- What is Wikidata?
- Difference between a person and their Wikidata item
- Missing description
- What can we do with papers on sonic hedgehog protein?
- Sandbox item
- Filling infoboxes from Wikidata
- Recommendation for vocabularies?
- Controlled vocabularies?
- Advanced SPARQL queries?
- Usefulness for metadata for research data repositories?
- DBpedia vs. Wikidata?
- Using the URIs
- Points of confusion?
- Wikidata:Property proposal
- Wikidata:Data access
- this page uses Wikidata: http://www.share-vde.org/sharevde/clusters?l=en
- Direct link to PubMed article providing evidence that Reelin immunolabeling is decreased in brains of
- LOC LOD
- Article placeholder
- WikidataCon/ Wikimania
- Wikimedian in Residence
- Data models
- Shape Expressions to keep track of ontologies
- Newsletter: Wikidata:Status updates
- WikiPathways announcement of license switch to CC0
- Wikidata:WikiProject Ontology
- Getting to the constraint violations report:
- 5 min summary on Friday
- evaluation/ observations