Updates as part of documentation overhaul
To compare my edits with the previous version please see the diffs here
Major changes include the following:
- moved content on language settings to a new dedicated space at Help:Navigating_Wikidata/User_Options
- clarified explanations of what is 'multilingual' and what Wikidata elements need to be translated
- expanded section on statement values/data types and provided examples
- deleted mention of future features (which didn't contain much by way of explanation anyhow)
- removed technical jargon and mention of entities (replaced with items and properties instead)
- added more content on fallback language chain
- add some "See also" links
Please let me know if you have any concerns about these changes or suggestions on further improving the documentation. If you see something wrong (like a typo) or something that could be easily improved upon (like an example, confusing wording, or a label for a screenshot), please just go ahead and fix it - no need to comment here first!
Here are issues I would also like specific feedback on:
- is it ok that I removed the mention on monolingual/multilingual texts (both future features)? If not, what ought to be said about them?
- are there too few/too many screenshots? What else should be in there?
In the "Items and properties" section, this page mentions the "Wikibase-terms" section. I searched the web to find other occurrences of "Wikibase-terms" but I did not succeed. Is "Wikibase-terms" correct? If so, where I can find information about it?--Malore (talk) 17:11, 6 April 2016 (UTC)
Icon needs updating
How can I add a Sherpa, Kulung and Yakthung language comment?
In Q513-P1476, I was trying to add xsr and lif title but it cannot be performed. Anyone can help? --184.108.40.206 21:44, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
- Help:Monolingual text languages#Getting a language code added. --Matěj Suchánek (talk) 16:08, 23 August 2019 (UTC)