Help:Split an item
An item split is required when an item includes sitelinks and/or statements that belong to different concepts that would be better managed by two separate items. It is the opposite of the merge operation.
- Verify if the item mix-up results from a recent merge. If this is the case, restore the pre-merge version, then restore the pre-merge version of the other item.
How to manually split an item in two items
In order to retain existing references on statements that are to be transferred to a new item, follow the procedure below:
- Create a new item
- Merge the existing one to it
- Remove all sitelinks from the target item
- Modify labels and/or descriptions of the target item (two items are not allowed to be exact duplicates)
- Restore the original item from its history
- Manually move appropriate sitelinks from the old item to the new one
- Fix labels of "moved sitelink" languages (or at least delete them); you may reproduce these labels on the new item (but bots would do that shortly using sitelinks)
- Delete or fix incorrect statements in both items
Sitelinks can be moved with the "move" gadget.
If an item is a conflation (Q14946528) (a confusion of elements from two or several items), and the various labels, descriptions, sitelinks and statements can't be reliably moved to corresponding items, it may be worth creating two or more new items and move the applicable elements (notably sitelinks, statements, links from other statements) there and then delete the initial item. Refer to Help:Conflation of two persons for guidance on how to perform this process in the context of items which are instance of (P31) human (Q5). This guidance can also be applied to items of other types.