Wikidata acts as central storage for the structured data of its Wikimedia sister projects including Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wiktionary, Wikisource, and others.Wikidata also provides support to many other sites and services beyond just Wikimedia projects! The content of Wikidata is available under a free license, exported using standard formats, and can be interlinked to other open data sets on the linked data web.
- What is Wikidata? Read the Wikidata introduction.
- Explore Wikidata by looking at a featured showcase item for author Douglas Adams (Q42).
- Get started with Wikidata's SPARQL query service.
Contribute to Wikidata
- Learn to edit Wikidata: follow the tutorials.
- Work with other volunteers on a subject that interests you: join a WikiProject.
- Individuals and organisations can also donate data.
Meet the Wikidata community
- Visit the community portal or attend a Wikidata event.
- Create a user account.
- Talk and ask questions on the Project chat or via live IRC chat.
Use data from Wikidata
- Learn how you can retrieve and use data from Wikidata.
- 2019-08-21: Wikidata records its 1,000,000,000th edit.
- 2019-08-20: Lexeme 60000, the Kurdish word 'qetandin', is created.
- 2019-07-30: The sixty-six millionth item, about a bank branch, is created.
- 2019-07-03: The sixty-five millionth item, about a scholarly article, is created.
- 2019-06-21: Lexeme 50000, the German word 'fünfzigtausend' (meaning 50,000), is created.
- 2019-05-23: The sixty-four millionth item, about an Indian politician, is created.
"What's in a name?" asked Shakespeare's Juliet.
The answer: a lot of rich data in need of structure and new properties. But thanks to growing user contributions and the work of a new WikiProject, Wikidata is getting better at supporting name-related data—and can tell you that Juliet also goes by Julika, and Giulia, and Hülya, and Liana, and Uljana...
- Check out Wikidata:Tools for some of our best tools and gadgets for using and exploring Wikidata.
- Browse our press clippings and collection of published research about Wikidata