User:Bene*/Items by cat
Items by cat is a tool to find existing or missing items by a Wikipedia category. This page is used for the documentation and internationalisation of the script.
There are three input boxes called offset, limit and recursion level. You can either use the first two or the third one. A set limit will override the recursion level. If you set limit and/or offset the results will be limited to limit and starting at offset. This parameters make sense if you try to check a huge category where the query would take too long.
If you want to include subcategories, you can enter a value into the recursion level box. This number indicates how deep the tool should go into the category. So if you enter a value of 0 (the default), no subcats will be checked, if you enter 1 all categories in the given category will be checked but not "subsubcats" etc. Note that this parameter should be used very carefully. Recursion requires a lot of memory and the script will fail if too many pages are selected. Thus you should only enter a value greater than 0 for little categories with small subcats etc.
With the output parameter you can also modify the format of the list of items. You can choose between HTML, wiki markup and plain text.
Translations go to the subpage now: /i18n.json.
Too big categories
A known bug is that the tool does not work for really big categories.
- Can you give a exempel on a really big category it dont work on? --Trade (talk) 13:38, 16 April 2013 (UTC)
for Farsi it has two bugs
- fa > category:ایران shows error!
-  does work for me
- the link after The list of all pages which have no item in should be in Unicode
- it offers create to user but for example for : fa > آیبیام (show missing pages only) it shows آیبیام (en:IBM article) which has item here for (en:IBM article). in my opinion before offering create it should say in other language it has an item in wikidata. do you want to add it to that item.
- This would be based on another request and slow down the performance. I will think about it.
- for big categories it can limit results to 500 or any number that it can work and sent an alarm which says it can execute only this amount
- Will be implemented soon.
- Missing label and Missing description doesn't work correctly. some of the items which is shown has label/description.(i.e. fa>اصفهان)
- what is the difference between Language for condition and Language? Reza1615 (talk) 11:53, 25 February 2013 (UTC)